dcsimg

It looks like your browser is outdated. For the best experience, please consider updating to the latest version or switching to another browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari).

History

1931

Two physicians, Drs. Ralph Falk and Don Baxter, launch the Don Baxter Intravenous Products Corporation as the first manufacturer of commercially prepared IV solutions. Previously, only large research centers and university hospitals had the facilities to produce their own intravenous solutions, which were of variable quality and limited in quantity.

1933

The company opens its first manufacturing facility in a renovated automobile showroom in Glenview, Illinois, USA, where six employees produce the complete line of five sterile solutions in glass containers.

1935

The young company earns a reputation for safety and effectiveness, giving physicians new confidence in IV therapy. The company becomes Baxter Laboratories Inc. and establishes a research and development (R&D) function to continue the company’s pioneering advances in medical technology.

1941

When World War II breaks out, only Baxter’s IV solutions and blood collection meet U.S. Armed Forces specifications. The company opens temporary plants to meet increased demand, and after the war, these operations are consolidated at the Glenview facility.

1948

Baxter’s product line expands to include a new unbreakable plastic container for blood storage, the precursor to the VIAFLEX plastic IV flexible container, a product that serves as a basis for the development of a plastic delivery system for dialysis solutions.

1959

Baxter acquires Fenwal Laboratories. The unit’s BLOOD-PACK flexible, plastic container system for collecting and processing whole blood later leads to Baxter’s development of the VIAFLEX plastic IV flexible container, another major innovation in IV therapy.

1970

The company introduces VIAFLEX, the first flexible, plastic IV container. This is a major advance in IV therapy, because it allows the infusion of IV solution within a closed system, which reduces the chance for contamination.
Construction began on Baxter’s North Cove manufacturing facility in Marion, North Carolina, USA, to supply IV solutions in Baxter’s new VIAFLEX IV containers. The 1.4-million-square-foot facility opened in 1972. Today, the North Cove facility is among the largest IV solutions plants in the world, producing hundreds of different IV and peritoneal dialysis solutions, as well as containers and component parts for other Baxter facilities. North Cove supplies finished goods used in 57 countries, and component parts to manufacturing facilities in 27 countries.

1974

Mini-bag plastic containers are added to Baxter’s line of IV products and eventually lead to the introduction of premixed IV drugs in ready-to-use form.

1975

The company moves from Morton Grove, Illinois, to its current corporate headquarters, in Deerfield, Illinois.

1983

Baxter introduces the INFUSOR pump, which incorporates technology to allow patients to receive IV therapy in any setting.

1991

The company introduces the INTERLINK IV Access System, the first “needleless” system for IV therapy, which protects healthcare workers from needle-stick accidents.

2005

The FDA approves AVIVA, which broadened the Baxter portfolio to include Non-PVC/Non-DEHP options to our customers in the U.S.

2007

Baxter introduces V-LINK, the first needleless IV connector with an antimicrobial coating.

2015

Baxter begins a temporary importation of VIAFLO IV containers, which assisted in the market shortage and brought additional supply to support the demand.
VIAFLO receives FDA approval. This expanded the non-PVC/non-DEHP offerings and secured the increased capacity available to Baxter’s customers both now and in the future.